We Need Your Support
In response to widespread community concerns about public safety, CAG has broadened its Public Safety Program. The program hires private security officers, organizes and informs block captains and Nextdoor.com users, installs and maintains neighborhood cameras, employs a CAG staff member dedicated solely to Public Safety activities, and works closely with the Metropolitan Police Department. The expanded program is based on the premise that there is strength in numbers and community involvement. This CAG initiative is 100% paid for by the community and needs your support to continue. We urge you to join other Georgetown residents in supporting the initiative by making a tax-deductible donation.
SPECIAL THANKS TO our community partners ellen charles and washington fine properties. WFP has been our community partner for public safety for seventeen YEARS!
By supporting the Public Safety Program, all donors help make Georgetown a safer, more informed, and better-connected neighborhood. Donors are also the only ones who receive the security officer’s mobile number. They can contact the officer directly at any time they are on duty. Many residents find it useful to have the officer escort them (or their guests) between home and car and to have the officer pay extra attention to their property while on vacation. Since expanding our program to include this service, we have had excellent feedback about our officer responding quickly and efficiently to donors’ special requests.
Paying for it – The Price of Increased Security
The expanded Public Safety Program costs more than ever before. The good news is that donations to the Public Safety Program are completely tax-deductible. We are asking each resident of Georgetown to give as generously as possible. If we all share the financial responsibility at the highest level each household can afford, we will be able to sustain a comprehensive program.
Please join your neighbors in supporting this important program that keeps your neighborhood closely monitored at night and provides individualized security service. We will all be safer and more connected!
All contributions are tax-deductible to the extent of the law. CAG’s tax-exempt number is 52-1359105.
OUR RESIDENTS HELP KEEP US SAFE
We are currently recruiting new block captains. Sign up here.
- Over 75 Georgetown residents have volunteered to be “crime communications central” for their respective neighborhood blocks
- Block Captains work to keep their neighbors informed and they receive up-to-date notices about crime on or near their blocks
- Block Captains give CAG and the MPD invaluable feedback about specific concerns of their neighborhood and specific blocks
Other Actions and Resources to help you protect your property and our community:
Light Up Georgetown to Deter Crime
CAG urges all residents to “leave the porch light on” to deter night-time crime. Click here for information about the benefits of increased lighting in public areas, recommendations for timers and bulbs, and cost implications.
Information on Security Cameras
CAG has found surveillance cameras to be a useful adjunct to our Public Safety Program. Click here to learn how residents can help by installing cameras on their own homes and in surrounding alleys, and for product recommendations and contact information for local installers.
Through the generous donations from the Georgetown community and sponsors of the Public Safety Program, CAG has been able to hire a dedicated CAG Security Officer.
- Our officer is trained and uniformed by SecTek, Inc.
- Two officers split a seven-night per week patrol schedule through Georgetown and they report any suspicious or dangerous activity both to the MPD and to CAG staff
- Our officer on duty patrols east and west Georgetown in a marked vehicle with flashing yellow lights on the roof; foot patrols are also carried out
- Our officer is not armed and provides a visual deterrent to crime while being the “eyes and ears” for our community
As an additional CAG benefit, residents who donate to the Public Safety Program can request personalized services from the officer in the following ways:
- The officer can escort residents (and/or their guests) between home and car or to neighborhood engagements
- Donors can also request the officer to check up on their house and gather accumulated mail when on vacation
- Every donor receives detailed information including the officer’s work cellphone number and duty hours
- CAG’s Public Safety Committee has been working with the leadership of our MPD Second District to achieve more community-oriented and strategic policing in Georgetown
- CAG regularly hosts meetings between the officers and leaders of MPD and residents to keep our community up-to-date and educated about current policing strategies and evolving threats to the Georgetown neighborhood
- CAG is currently implementing a camera program on designated streets which criminals are likely to use to enter and exit Georgetown
- These streets do not have MPD security cameras and the information gathered from these cameras is a valuable resource for our community and the police
- No active monitoring of the video takes place and the stored video is automatically erased every 30 days